Monday, September 14, 2009

God Is In The Details

Mies Van Der Rohe famously said that "God is in the details" and I couldn't agree more. I love when I happen upon a detail or idea which I had never seen before. I spent Sunday afternoon with Heather Clawson of Habitually Chic . After brunch we walked through SoHo and stopped into her favorite boutique, 3.1 Phillip Lim. I had never been before, but was immediately struck by the wood slat wall that dominates the front gallery.


What at 1st glance looked like your typical, albeit ubiquitous, wooden slat wall was actually oak tongue and groove, wood flooring stacked horizontally. The alternating forms of tongue and groove created a simple, yet stylish statement.

Phillip Lim says about the design element by New York Architects, Tacklebox, "I think the humbleness of the materials we worked with…such as using oak-base-board flooring stacked up vertically, revealing perfect imperfections, creating a feeling that is dynamic and modern."
The best part was that they left the ends exposed at the corners. The simplicity and brilliance dazzled me.



To continue the theme the architects used the same flooring material to create the dressing room doors. Here however, they spaced the boards, backed with opaque glass, to allow light into the dressing room. Such an inventive way to think outside the box!


To top it all off, I even learned that they carry a mens line! It looks like my fall wardrobe is going to get a serious upgrade. Thanks Heather.

Photos from Tacklebox website, photographer not listed

2 comments:

Habitually Chic said...

I love that shopping can be inspiring as well as expensive ;-)

Haute Decor said...

I think inspiration can be found most anywhere, but isnt it more fun in the chic places!